Scale Modelers Journal
Scale Modelers world.

Voted Best Image

Member Gallery 1 - Scale Modelers World
Member Gallery 1
14882 Views | 2982 Votes

Login

Login with your email and password below.

Email address :  Password * : 

Not a member?
click here to join for free.

Note: Forums have very little use at the moment. Feel free to post however there may not be much of a reply.

Home / Forums / General Discussions
Greetings

Posted:-
29 Sep 2010 05:11 PM
3 posts

Hi all - its been a long time since the lysander, just about to start 1/48 tamiya lancaster I/III, have ordered flightpath 1/48 super detail PE kit from www.bnamodelworld.com -This will take me 1-3 year probably . the joy of having young children and busy job. It is quite a large model wingspan 648mm, fusealarge 443mm.

Check this guy's model lanc out-amazing

http://ipmsmalta.forumotion.net/aviation-f8/1-48-tamiya-avro-lancasterende-t367.htm

Cheer Simon

Sav
08 Oct 2010 10:33 AM
65 posts

Man that Lanc is amazing, the level of detail is out of this world.

However it always bothers me to see that level of detail go into the interior detail and then have it covered up so it cannot be seen.

I've got a 48th B17,B29 and B26 on the shelf to be started on day, the B17 has one side of the fuselage as transparant plastic which is a cool way to see inside but I'm not sure how it would look.

I've been trying to think of some way to display these beasts and let the user peek inside. I thought about cutting holes but not sure. Also thought about keeping the wings and two fuselage halves separate and mounting them behind a glass frame as a kind of semi-3d 3-view drawing.

Maybe I'll try it on the B26 to see how it looks.

Can't wait to see your tamiya Lanc, I've been thinking about getting one of those but I'm running out of storage space

Been way to busy getting a business up and running the last few months to do any building. I've got a 1/72 f-104G which is 95% complete.... sooo close to being finished

13 Oct 2010 03:40 PM
4 posts

Hi Sav, here is a option that hay help to show thw innards of your beasts

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/WW2/ChrisNovak/FM-2/FM-2.php

Simon

Sav
13 Oct 2010 04:41 PM
66 posts

Those are amazing, certainly gives some great ideas for building the ribs and frame.

Here's the Hellcat which Chris also did:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/WW2/ChrisNovak/F6F/F6F.php

The skill is awesome, great work indeed. The guy is a bit of a legend really.

My only (personal) small gripe with this method is that the thickness of the skin seems too thick. I really like how it's painted red to show it's a cutaway but also detracts from the realism. I have the same problem with clear fuselage parts, they just end up looking too shiny and plasticy.

Hmmmm I wonder if a B17 with the side blown out due to battle damage would solve the problems. That way you could present the skin peeling away from cannon hits.

I guess you then run into the problem of building a specific aircraft with damage that it didn't actually sustain in real life... not that this issue bothers me so much.

19 Oct 2010 03:59 PM
5 posts

Sav you could make the cut-a-way leading edge thinner, i.e. sand it down so it looks more to scale. sand it from the inside of the wing once the viewing hole is established.

Simon

Random Gallery Image

Member Gallery 1 - Scale Modelers World
Member Gallery 1
4716 Views | 1620 Votes

Find us on Facebook

And receive updates direct to your facebook account.

Scale Converter Tool

Check out our new Online Scale conversion tool. Convert from any scale in any unit of measurement to any other scale in any other unit.

Click here to view the
Scale Conversion Tool

Website by Nyx (login)